Application Information

Transfer Applicants

We’re excited for you to continue your higher education journey at Northeastern. You can find information about transferring and required documents below. Our Fall 2024 application is available. Please refer to our Deadlines and Decisions page for information regarding our transfer application timeline.

Transfer applicants are students who will have completed at least 12 semester hours of college-level coursework (after high school graduation) OR have attempted at least one semester of full-time coursework and maintained enrollment through the add/drop period (after high school completion).



  • Official college transcript(s) for all institutions you have attended
  • Final high school transcript or GED/HiSET score report

College Report

College Report (form available through the Common Application) to be completed by the Registrar Office or Dean of your current/previous school. All sections must be completed in order for your application to be reviewed. If you are having trouble downloading this form from the Common App, feel free to download this form and have your school email it to

Academic Evaluation

Evaluation from an academic advisor, professor, or employer (online submission through the Common Application).

Standardized Testing

Through 2026, Northeastern University is test-optional and does not require applicants to submit standardized testing to be considered for admission.

  • All complete applications will be fully considered for admission to Northeastern.
  • If you choose to apply without standardized testing, you will not be penalized or disadvantaged.
  • If you choose to submit standardized testing, you may submit the SAT (CEEB Code 3667) ACT (College Code 1880) or both. Northeastern super-scores and will only consider your best score between the two types of tests.
  • Non-native English-speaking applicants must continue to submit official results from an approved English Language Test or request a waiver through the Application Status Check. For additional information, continue reading or visit the International Applicants page for our English Language Proficiency policy.

Current Year Courses

The transfer list of current year courses is a document that details the courses you are currently taking this semester. Typically, this requirement is fulfilled by either an unofficial copy of your current transcript that shows the courses in progress or a PDF screenshot of your current course list. Course description documents or a list of courses typed up do not fulfill this requirement. If you are not currently enrolled in courses, please contact the office of admissions to review your situation at

Optional Materials

  • Joint Services Transcript (JST)/Community College of the Air Force transcript for veterans or active duty military
  • Mid-term Report (highly recommended) for students who are currently enrolled in courses. Form available online through the Common Application. If you are having trouble downloading this form from the Common App, feel free to download this form and email it to
  • Certified Transcript Evaluation by a recognized credentialing agency (highly recommended). For transfer applicants who have earned credits at an international higher education institution, an evaluation is required to process transfer credits after admission to Northeastern. Transcripts should be evaluated by the Center for Educational Documentation (CED), SpanTranWorld Education Services (WES), or another recognized credentialing agency and the credentialed evaluation must include the following
    • An indication that the institution is accredited in US terms
    • A course by course credit and grade conversion

Additional Materials

English Proficiency and International Student Requirements

All first-year and transfer applicants, regardless of citizenship, must demonstrate proficiency in English to be considered for admission to Northeastern. You can complete the requirement in the following ways:

  • You are a native English speaker.
  • You are a non-native English speaker, and you submit official results from a valid English Language Test. Northeastern will accept the following:
  • You are a non-native English speaker, and immediately before enrolling at Northeastern, you will complete 4 consecutive, full-time academic years in high schools and universities where native English was the primary instructional language for all courses except foreign language acquisition courses. All waiver requests must be submitted through your Application Status Check. For additional information and to determine whether you are eligible for a waiver, please see the International Students page for more information on waiving the English proficiency requirement.

Please note: Northeastern’s Admissions Committee reserves the right to request proof of English language proficiency from any applicant, regardless of citizenship or first language, at any time during the evaluation process.

Non-U.S. citizen applicants are required to submit the Declaration and Certification of Finances (DCF) form for their application to be considered complete. The Certification of Finances is designed to assist colleges and universities in obtaining complete and accurate information about the funds available to international applicants. As Northeastern is unable to offer state or federally-funded financial support to international applicants, the process of verifying the financial resources of students is essential.


Students applying to the College of Arts, Media and Design can submit a portfolio under their Application Status Check after applying to Northeastern. Applicants are encouraged to complete all forms, including Academic Profile, Media Uploads, and Personal Statement (500-word limit). Please only submit one portfolio. Additional submissions will not be reviewed. Click here for more information and deadlines.

The courses below outline recommended and required courses for transfer admission Northeastern University. Courses listed as required must be completed or in-progress to be considered for the specific college/program. All other courses are recommended. You may visit our Transfer Equivalency Database to find out if the courses you have taken have been previously evaluated for transfer credit.

For those applying into one of our 130+ combined majors, please review the course information for each individual college or program involved in the combined major. (For example, if you choose to apply to the combined major of Biology and English, please review the transfer requirements for both the College of Science and the College of Social Sciences and Humanities). To learn more about our combined majors, please click here.

Bouvé College of Health Sciences

Health Science

  • College Writing (equivalent to ENGW 1111)
  • Biology I & II with labs
  • Chemistry I & II with labs
  • Calculus or higher
  • Foundations of Psychology

School of Nursing*

  • College Writing (equivalent to ENGW 1111) (strongly recommended)
  • Anatomy & Physiology I & II with labs (strongly recommended)
  • Chemistry with lab (strongly recommended)
  • Microbiology with lab (strongly recommended)
  • Foundations of Psychology (strongly recommended)
  • Nutrition (strongly recommended)
  • Mathematical Thinking (strongly recommended)

*Please note that Nursing students must complete all recommended coursework in order to progress into year 2 of the program’s course sequence


  • Transfer into the second year of the Early Assurance PharmD (Sophomore year pre-pharmacy; usually 12 credits or more). 
    • Chemistry I with lab (required)
    • Biology I with lab (required)
    • Chemistry II with lab (strongly recommended)
    • Biology II with lab (strongly recommended)
    • College Writing (equivalent to ENGW 1111)
    • Calculus or higher
    • Foundations of Psychology

College of Arts, Media and Design

  • College Writing (equivalent to ENGW 1111)
  • Mathematical Thinking or Calculus
  • Foreign Language (BA students only)

College of Engineering

  • Calculus I (required – level should be for Engineering/Science majors)
  • Physics I (strongly recommended – level should be calculus based)
  • Chemistry I (strongly recommended) 
  • College Writing (equivalent to ENGW 1111)

College of Social Sciences and Humanities

  • College Writing (equivalent to ENGW 1111)
  • Mathematical Thinking or Calculus
  • Foreign Language (BA students only)

College of Science

  • College Writing (equivalent to ENGW 1111)
  • Calculus or higher
  • Natural Science with lab

D’Amore-McKim School of Business

  • Calculus at the college level (strongly recommended)
  • Macroeconomics (BSBA only, strongly recommended)
  • Language (Intermediate level strongly recommended for BSIB)
  • College Writing (equivalent to ENGW 1111)
  • Business Statistics
  • Microeconomics

Khoury College of Computer Sciences

  • Calculus 1 (Required)
  • College Writing (equivalent to ENGW 1111)
  • Natural Science with lab

Enrollment Checklist

Please view your Application Status Check to view your enrollment checklist and next steps/important dates to note in order to enroll at Northeastern.


University housing is not available to transfer students. We encourage students to engage with the resources offered by the Off Campus Student Services Office to secure housing.

Transfer Credit/MyPaws

  • Your transfer credit evaluation will be made available to you within the next couple of days.
  • To ensure we have the most up to date information, you should forward an updated college transcript with final semester grades
  • If you have completed AP, IB or GCE examinations, request that the results be sent to Northeastern.
  • Participation in dual enrollment programs while in high school may also be considered for transfer credit. You must submit the official college transcript from the institution that hosted courses.


We honor and value your service to the country and look forward to welcoming you to the Northeastern community. Northeastern participates in the Yellow Ribbon and Post 9/11 GI Bill. Members of the Center for the Advancement of Veterans and Servicemembers (CAVS) are able to assist you through the eligibility process. You may contact them at

NU Transfer Organization (NUTSO)

NUTSO provides transfer students with an opportunity to meet one another and participate in social activities while transitioning to Northeastern. If you have questions about transfer and the Northeastern community, you can reach out to NUTSO via email at

New Student Orientation

New Student Orientation is mandatory for all transfer students enrolling at Northeastern. During the daylong New Student Orientation you will meet with your academic advisor to choose classes, as well as other departments such as the Financial Aid, Housing, and Campus Safety departments, who are vital to your success at Northeastern. New Student Orientation information is sent via your Husky email account once you deposit.

Am I considered a freshman or a transfer student?
Transfer applicants are students who have completed at least 12 semester hours of college-level coursework (after high school graduation) OR have attempted at least one semester of full-time coursework and maintained enrollment through the add/drop period (after high school graduation).

I am receiving an Associate’s degree and high school diploma at the same time. Why can’t I be considered a transfer student? Northeastern’s definition of a transfer student is anyone who will have completed at least one full-time semester of college-level coursework after high school graduation. Students who do not have their high school diploma by the application deadline are not considered transfer applicants. Dual-enrollment courses can be considered for transfer credit.

Do I need to submit all official college transcripts even if my transfer credit appears on a transcript?
Yes, we require students to submit all official college transcripts.

How does Northeastern review transfer applications?
We review all applications holistically and are looking for students who are the best fit for Northeastern. We look closely at the student’s academic coursework and grades, along with extracurricular involvement, including work, clubs, community service, and internships. We value all information, and students should show how they are the best fit for NU and how they will take advantage of the opportunities here.

Does the Office of Admission review applications differently for specific majors?
Each program has recommended and required coursework that we take into account in the review process. Students can view this information in the ‘Program Requirements’ section on the Transfer Credit website.

My application is complete. When will I receive my admission decision?
Decisions are released on a rolling basis; the latest notification date is June 30.

I applied as a transfer student for previous term and was not offered admission/didn’t attend. Do I need to submit a new application for the next Spring/Fall term?
Students must submit a new transfer application through the Common Application for each academic term.

When will I receive my degree audit?
Students will receive their official degree audit within one week of admission. To learn more about transfer credit at Northeastern, visit the Transferring Credit website.

I studied in a British-patterned education system but did not complete A-level exams, can I apply as a transfer student to Northeastern?
All enrolling students from British-patterned education systems are expected to present three passing results on full GCE A-Levels (or if exceptional circumstances, 2 passing A-Levels, and 2 passing AS-Levels, taken across four different subjects). In cases where a student is unable to provide either, we will be unable to consider them for transfer until they have successfully completed an Associate’s degree or equivalent number of courses in a Bachelor’s degree-seeking program (64 credit hours). An application can be submitted during the final term in an Associate’s degree program, or typically in the third semester out of four total semesters in a Bachelor’s degree seeking program. A complete college or university transcript will be required, in addition to the Mid-Term Report.

I am a veteran/activity duty. Should I apply as a freshman or a transfer student?
Transfer applicants are students who have completed at least 12 semester hours of college-level coursework (after high school graduation) OR have attempted at least one semester of full-time coursework and maintained enrollment through the add/drop period. Veterans who have not completed any college coursework can apply as freshmen, but they should submit an application based on how they identify. Please reach out to an admissions for more information or email

Do I still need to submit my SAT/ACT scores?
For applicants applying for the 2024-2025 academic year, Northeastern University is test-optional and does not require standardized testing to complete an application for admission. You can learn more about our testing policy here.

Do I need to submit my Mid-term report?
We highly recommend that students submit the Mid-Term Report if they are currently enrolled in classes, but it is not required.

Who should I contact if I have questions?
Transfer students can email

If you have more questions about Northeastern, please visit our Frequently Asked Admissions Questions page for more information.

We prefer most credentials be submitted online via The Common Application or by email to Credentials not submitted online should be mailed to the address below. Official transcripts must be sent in a sealed envelope, directly from the institution, or via an electronic exchange.

For application fees, fee waiver requests (being sent separately from the application), FedEx, UPS, or Priority Mail packages:

Mail to:
The Office of Undergraduate Admissions
101 Belvidere, 3rd Floor
Northeastern University
Boston, MA 02115-5000 USA

For Official transcripts, recommendation letters, and the College Report:

Mail to:
Northeastern University
Application Processing Center
P.O. Box 8210
Portsmouth, NH 03802, USA