Honors & Scholars Programs
Stretch your education.
Each fall, the Honors Program at Northeastern University invites a select group of applicants to join its community. All applicants are considered for the Honors Program and those invited into the Honors Program are among our most highly accomplished and motivated applicants.
The Honors Program establishes connections built on a set of shared values: interdisciplinary thinking, a willingness to accept challenges both inside and outside of the classroom, the development of a global mindset, and the commitment to community.
Students in the program are expected to be active participants in the Honors Community; be it through Honors Curriculum, undergraduate research, global opportunities, community service, special events, advising, and Honors in the Discipline.
Honors education at Northeastern University empowers students to chart a unique academic course that will challenge them to think across disciplines, take risks, increase global perspective, and promote opportunities for creative expression and critical thinking.
Through Honors Welcome Week, the First Year Inquiry Series, Advising Resources, the Honors e-Portfolio, and our Living Learning Community, students become connected to one another, supported on their academic and personal journey, and frame their own vision of becoming successful as they study and live with other Honors students.
The Honors experience is characterized by outstanding faculty, innovative curriculum and engaged students. Each of these three components work together synergistically to produce a unique learning environment.
The Ujima Global Leaders Program is a program focused on developing leaders for an increasingly diverse and complex world.
Ujima Global Leaders are supported by a scholarship in recognition of their accomplishments and their potential to become agents for positive change in both our local and global communities. There is no separate application process for this program, decisions are rendered based on the undergraduate admissions application submitted to the university.
The program is designed so participants may lead a purposeful life of global citizenship, excellence, service, and personal and professional success. The program’s objectives include:
- Developing leadership capabilities
- Demonstrating the importance of global citizenship
- Expanding your knowledge of issues regarding diversity and inclusion
- Engaging in meaningful community service experiences
- Exposing you to personal, professional, and career development opportunities
This program is unparalleled in its support for first-generation, low-income students from diverse backgrounds. Much more than a scholarship, Torch is a comprehensive model for access, retention, and achievement. There is no separate application process, students must be nominated for the program.
Torch Scholars have the power to change the world.
The extensive full-scholarship program includes:
- A comprehensive summer immersion program
- Intensive academic planning and assessments
- In-depth peer and professional mentoring
- A wide array of social events that foster group identity and camaraderie
Global ConnEXions is a distinctive experiential program that empowers students to design solutions to real-world global challenges by combining the flexibility of virtual learning punctuated with face-to-face community building opportunities.
With a focus on project-based learning, students spend the year developing the skills, knowledge, and experience necessary for successful twenty-first century careers. After completing the program, students will seamlessly build upon this foundation throughout the rest of their college experience, possessing the tools and skills necessary to engineer and navigate their own educational and professional path. Further, students will be well-connected to our global network of faculty, alumni, and corporate partners across multiple campuses and industries.
Global ConnEXions draws on and expands Northeastern’s signature experiential learning model by harnessing the power of place to create context for projects that seek to solve the pressing problems of our time. These projects, coupled with state-of-the-art virtual classes, immerse learners in Northeastern’s global network. Short, in-person opportunities at one of our global campuses bookend the year and foster team-building through intense, cohort-based experiences.
Distinctive features of the program include:
- A powerful combination of virtual learning and intensive residential experiences that immerse students in experiential learning, the power of place, and community.
- An experiential first-year seminar of students, faculty, advisors, peer mentors, and integration coaches.
- Unique, project-based courses focused on global challenges, designed and led by top research faculty.
- Real world problem-based courses conceived and designed by students (in consultation with faculty experts) in their second semester.
- Disciplinary courses selected to support project-based courses and progress toward the major.
- A robust set of programs and services specifically designed to virtually connect first-year students to each other as well as the global Northeastern community.