Early Decision Benefits
Applying Early Decision for Fall 2024
For students whose unequivocal first choice is Northeastern, we recommend you consider applying Early Decision.
To recognize that Early Decision students make a commitment to us, we’re making a commitment to you by offering additional benefits to those considering applying Early Decision and to those who are ultimately admitted through the Early Decision program.
What is Early Decision at Northeastern?
We understand that no two schools are quite the same, and it is important for you to understand what it means to apply Early Decision to Northeastern. The benefits we offer, even before you apply, will help you and your family determine if ED at Northeastern is a good fit for you. As you begin, we encourage you to watch this video from Tim Kelly, which provides an overview and key tips to help you navigate the application process.
Students applying Early Decision have two deadlines to select from. Visit our How to Apply page for detailed next steps. Fall 2024 Early Decision applicants will be bound to their first-choice preference if they are admitted into that program. This will be true for preferences of any of our five enrollment options. ED applicants will not be bound to an enrollment program if they are admitted into a program that was not their first-choice preference—a non-binding decision would be issued. All applicants are asked for their program preferences in the institution specific section of the application. Additional information regarding our enrollment opportunities may be found here.
Early Decision I
Application Deadline: November 1
Decisions Released By: January 1
Early Decision II
Application Deadline: January 1
Decisions Released By: March 1
Early Decision Benefits
- Application Fee Waiver: Students applying for Early Decision I or Early Decision II and applying for Financial Aid will be eligible for an application fee waiver.
- Early Need-Based Financial Aid Estimate*: In order to provide you and your family with the ability to make an informed financial commitment, we are committed to providing you with an early estimated need-based financial aid review. To receive yours, you must submit the following by Friday, December 15 at 11:59 p.m. EST.
- An application to Northeastern for Fall 2024 via Common App or Coalition App. Please note an Early Decision application is not required for the review. All application types will be able to receive an early aid review if students are considering a change to Early Decision. Please note, in order to access the Early Aid Review request ahead of the deadline, which is required for an estimate, you must submit your Northeastern application by December 14 at 11:59 p.m. EST.
- Your 2024-2025 CSS Profile (and NCP Profile if required).
- The Early Aid Review Request. Please note this will be available for all Fall 2024 domestic applicants on November 27 via their Application Status Check.
- Any additional financial aid documents (such as federal tax returns) that may be required by Student Financial Service.
*This offering is for domestic students only as international applicants do not qualify for need based aid.
Ability to earn credits through NU Accelerate Scholarship
Early Decision enrolling students can launch their Northeastern academic experience before they even graduate through remote, asynchronous coursework offered through NU Accelerate Pre-College Programs. Leveraging coursework curated specifically for first-year students, Early Decision students will be awarded a scholarship to take up to two courses prior to matriculation. Courses will span a wide range of academic areas, such as Writing, Calculus, Global Health, History, Psychology, and more. Additional information on NU Accelerate will be shared in the coming weeks.